Friday, August 15, 2008

Democrats and National Defense

The Democrats will try to convince you that they are strong on national defense. Don't believe a word of it. Why? Since Nixon got us out of Vietnam (which was a Democrat-sponsored disaster), Democrats have been weak on national defense. Carter and Clinton. Just read the history. I'm not going to teach it to you.

One of the themes of the Democract convention this year will be how they will make American strong. And safer. Their policies won't work. Never have, never will.

Here's what Obama has been saying:

I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems

I will slow development of future combat systems

I will not weaponize space

I will institute an independent "Defense Priorities Board" to ensure the quadrennial defense review is not used to justify unnecessary spending

I will set a goal of a world without nuclear weapons...and to seek that goal, I will not develop nuclear weapons...

I will seek a global ban on the production of fissile material...

I will negotiate with Russia to take our ICBMs off hair-trigger alert...and to achieve deep cuts in our nuclear arsenals.

Nice idealistic goals or policies, but they don't work in the real world, with all the bad guys running around.

I really have a problem with the first two statements above. We need a missile defense system. What started with Reagan has finally come to fruition. Having only offensive systems to strike back after you've been nuked never made sense to me. And slowing development of future systems? What does he mean by slow? Makes me as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Just don't believe the Democrats will make you safer. I served in the military during Carter's term, and Clinton's first term. I know how they treated the military.

No comments: