Thursday, January 28, 2010

The State of the Union -- Same ol' same ol'

No. I did not watch the State of the Union address. This morning I've read enough to convince me that it was just more of the same old B.S.

A few comments, however, based on transcript excerpts and other commentaries and news items (I do try to pay attention).

The government doesn't create jobs. It's creates an economic and regulatory environment that is conducive to the private sector creating jobs. Throwing money at problems -- the liberal way -- does not solves problems.

His proposed spending freeze, which will supposedly save $250 billion over 10 years. Mmmmmm. What is the percentage of $250 billion over $40 trillion (assuming $4 trillion a year budget spending)? It is .63 percent, less than 1 percent. For example, if my budget calls for household expenses of $3,600 dollars a month, but I'm actually spending $5,000, I'd have to reduce my spending by $1,400 to balance my budget. But Obama's plan would have me reducing expenses by about $21 a month. I just don't get it. Do you?

His remarks about the Supreme Court border on arrogance, and provides a clear insight to Obama's lack of respect for the Constitution. If the Supreme Court says the law in question is unconstititional, then you can't get Congress to pass another one to replace it, unless its different; but I get the impression that's what he wants to do. That would be another unconstititional law. What audacity of hope is this?

The Democrats applauded him 80 some times during a 71-minute speech. How devote are they. And he blamed Bush three times. The Dems have had four years, and Obama one year, to fix some stuff, and haven't done jack. Give me a break. (Wonder how many times he used the pronoun, "I"? Update: One blogger put it at 96 times, but I have not confirmed this.)

Name one thing that the President has accomplished (a positive something) in the last year. Go ahead. Make my day.

No comments: