Monday, March 15, 2010

Veterans not getting bennies quick enough

Somewhat old news, but worth reporting again: veterans participating in the post 9/11 GI Bill are having problems getting their education benefits in a timely manner. Some are having problems paying bills, because the payments are late.

One student said he had to wait three months to obtain his benefits during his first semester in school. As reported by the Guardsman:
I received the benefits only with intense hardships,” Meade said. “I did get them, but only after Senator Dianne Feinstein’s office intervened to the Veterans Affairs on my behalf, and that was really the reason I got paid.”

A veteran who who will be referred to as George because his claim with the VA is still pending, said he is tired of waiting.

“They keep telling me, ‘just a little longer,’ but my landlord doesn’t want to hear that anymore,” George said. “It’s not like I’m asking for a handout. I was promised these benefits when I enlisted.”

“They provide, but they are really slow,” he said.
Additionally, it has been reported, the VA, in an effort to reduce the backlog, sent checks out to many vets for $3,000. Now, they have to get some of that back.

And this is the goverment that wants to administer your health care.

A full report on problems facing veterans was issued in February 2010 by the Iraq and Afganistan Veterans of America.

No comments: