Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hey Arizona! Slow down a bit, OK?

The proposed bill to deny citizenship to children of illegal aliens born in Arizona is just going too far. I supported the last bill, as I saw it as a reaction to the lack of action by the Feds.

Supporters are trying to re-interpret the 14th Amendment, but that is nothing but hypocracy, in my opinion. If you are a Constitutionalist, like I am, you can't do this for some issues and not for others and remain credible.

If the 14th no longer serves its purpose (which was the emancipation of slaves in the 19th century), then propose a change to the constitution. I might support a change to the amendment, if it was reasonable and made sense. But this ain't the way to go.

This law, I would hope, will not pass. While I haven't read it, it sounds unconstitutional. If the Constitution can't stand on its own, then we no longer are a nation of laws, but a nation of anarchy.

To those in Arizona, take a deep breath. Chill out a little. Your actions so far have been good, but don't take it too far.

No comments: