Monday, February 21, 2011

Random Musings for a Monday

War in Wisconsin
Public service used to mean just that: Public service, in which government employees served at the will of the people and provided us with services. Not any more, which is obvious in Wisconsin, and will probably spread to other states. And which side is our President on? The people? Of course not. He's on the side of the union goons.

I find is somewhat amusing that after all the vicious attacks against the Tea Party protests and demonstrations, the unions, with their Democratic party supporters, are even more vicious, and messy. It seems, from every account I've read over the last year, that conservatives always clean up after themselves, yet liberals don't. (Photo credit to Ann Althouse)


War in Somalia
On Friday, four Americans were hijacked off the coast of Somalia. The U.S. is considering options. I think there is only one. Go get them. And I was also surprised to learn that some 30 ships and 650 hostages are being held by pirates. This piracy thing was what caused the U.S. to create the Marine Corps in the late 18th century. So use them.

Are higher taxes the answer to our challenges?
As an American taxpayer, I think I pay enough. Just think about it seriously. Everything is taxed. When I got up this morning, I turned on some lights, and paid a tax. Of course, my home is taxed via property taxes. I drank a cup of coffee and paid tax. I put on my clothes, which I paid a tax on when I bought them. I got into my car to go to work, and paid a tax on the gas, and I paid sales tax on the car when I bought it, and I pay a "tax" every year to make it legal. When I got to work, I earned some income, which I paid some taxes on. My company also earned some money, which they will pay taxes on. At lunch, I stopped by my favorite restaurant, and paid taxes on the meal. After work, I'm going to get a new set of tires, and will pay extra tax. When I got home, I made a phone call, and paid some tax. Then I surfed the net, and paid more taxes. Even after I'm dead, if I'm fortunate enough to have an estate, my heirs will probably pay a tax on that...And so on, ad naseum. So don't talk to me about higher and/or more taxes. Enough is enough.

No comments: